PhD and MPhil
Choo, Thain Siong (PhD)
- Title: An Interactive Surrogate Model-based Performance-driven Design Method for Facade Design
- Period: January 2013 – December 2017
- Main Supervisor: Patrick Janssen
- Co-Supervisor: Rudi Stouffs
Faizal, Muhd Firus (MPhil)
- Title: Use of Scenario Planning Approach to Explore High-dense, Mixed-use Function Distribution
- Period: January 2013 - March 2016
- Main Supervisor: Patrick Janssen
Chen, Kian Wee (PhD)
- Title: A Design Method for the Exploration of Low Exergy Architecture in the Early Design Stages
- Period: September 2011 – August 2015
- Main Supervisor: Arno Schlueter (ETH)
- Co-Supervisor: Patrick Janssen
Masters Dissertations Students
The Master’s dissertation is an independent study resulting in an 8000 word report.
- 2016 Teo, Chia Kai: Immersive Spatial Visualisation for Architectural Design: Generating Facade Textures
2016 Ong, Guo Xiang: Participatory Design Games in Urban Planning: Towards a Distributed and Massively Multi-palayer Online Collaboration Model
- 2015 Zou, Menglin: Parametric Approaches for Automated Fire Code Compliance Checking in Singapore
2015 Chuo, William: Validating Walkability in Singapore using UMI Walk Score® Algorithm
- 2014 Gerard Teo: Performance-Based Design using BIM
- 2014 Kelvin Tay Zhong Kang: An Analysis of the Use of Swarm Methods in the Architectural Design Process
- 2014 Lin Xiong: An Analysis of the Use of Structural Optimization in the Architectural Design Process
- 2014 Zhaoying Chew: A Method for Measuring Connectivity with the Outdoors
2014 Elvira Tan: The Use of Evolutionary Algorithms to Support Material Selections
- 2013 Tan, Aik Boon: Differentiated Space: Evolutionary Exploration of Spatial Configurations for High-Rise Residential Buildings.
- 2013 Zhang, Rui: Procedural City Generation: An Architectural Perspective and Application.
2013 Tao, Eugene Chian Yan: Exploring Urban Configurations for a Walkable New Town Using Evolutionary Algorithm.
- 2012 Zeng, Zhibin: Agent Based Urban Design: A Proof-of-Concept Demonstration.
- 2012 Chee, Zong Jie Desmond: Evolutionary Optimization of Urban Street Patterns Using Axial Line Analysis.
2012 Lee, Sian Chyun: Sighted Generative Systems in Architecture.
- 2011 Hui, Tung Sing: Evolutionary Algorithm as a Design Tool for Climatic Responsive Design.
- 2011 Kaushik, Vignesh Srinivas: Multi-Criteria Optimization of Panelled Building Envelopes during Conceptual Stages of Design Using Evolutionary Algorithms.
- 2011 Lee, Xiao Wen Rachel: Using Evolutionary Algorithm as a Design Tool for the Multi Criteria Optimization of Catenary Structures.
2011 Vignesh, Baskar Nittin: Optimization of Office Building Form Using Evolutionary Algorithms.
- 2010 Ong, Eu Ho Fabian: Particle Systems as Agent-Based Modelling Approach for Performance-Based Architectural Configurations.
- 2010 Chong, Wan Paul: A Survey on Cellular Automata in the Field of Architecture.
- 2010 Goh, Chun Wei Nicky: Experimenting with Performance Based Generative Design: Integrating Sun Shade Design on Non-Standard Architectural Geometry.
2010 Samat, Khairul Rizal: A Kinetic Sun-Shading System for the Tropics.
- 2009 Chen, Kian Wee: The Design of Naturally Ventilated Spaces Using Multi-Zone Airflow Simulation: The Architectural Implication on the Schematic Stage of the Design Process.
- 2009 Zhang, Qiaojie: Dataflow Modelling Strategies: Dataflow Modelling for Panelling of Complex.
- 2009 Purayil, Vivek Puthan: Effectiveness of Space Syntax in the Design of Urban Parks: A Critical Analysis.
Masters Independent Study Students
The ISM is an independent study resulting in an 4000 word report.
- 2017 Lim, Joie Yan Yee: Manual and Automated Construction of BIM Model and Further Applications, Chapter: Automated BIM Models.
- 2017 Yang, Songyu: Manual and Automated Construction of BIM Model and Further Applications, Chapter: Post Modelling Real-Time Immersion
- 2017 Widodo, Amanda Dwiyani: Interoperability between Landscape and Building Modelling through IFC Format
- 2017 Chia, Zhang Yuan Nathanael: Detecting Deviations in Buildings 3D Scanning & Reconstruction Using Low-cost Methods
2017 Raharjo, Gavin Prasetyo: Integration of Spatial Analysis Tools into the Conceptual Design Stage of The Tightly Coupled Parametric Modelling Workflow
- 2016 Balasubramanyam, Bhavani: Motion Tracking and Augmented Reality
- 2016 Chew, Boyang: Modular Design in Building Information Modelling Environment using Parametric Tools
2016 Wu, Yi’an Annie: The Application of BIM on the Conservation of Built-Heritage: Case Study of the NUS Baba House
- 2015 Balasubramanyam, Bhavani: Parkroyal Hotel Pickering: WOHA, Chapter: Interactive Virtual Reality
- 2015 Chew, Boyang: Parkroyal Hotel Pickering: WOHA, Chapter: Simulation And Analysis
- 2015 Wu, Yi’an Annie: Parkroyal Hotel Pickering: WOHA, Chapter: Parametric Modelling
- 2015 Tan, Alvin Pak Wei: Parkroyal Hotel Pickering: WOHA, Chapter: Modular Construction
- 2015 Cai, Jesslin Xiaohui: The National Library Of Singapore, Chapter: The Building Components
- 2015 Tan, James Kian Tat: The National Library Of Singapore, Chapter: The Main Building
2015 Lim, Hock Guan: The National Library Of Singapore, Chapter: The POD
- 2014 Choo Thian Siong: Surrogate Models for Performance-Based Design: A Comparative Analysis of Alternative Models
- 2014 Chen Kian Wee: Data Analytics Techniques in Design Optimization for Early Architecture Design Stages
2014 Faizal, Firus: The Data Gap between Masterplans and Urban Evaluation Tools
- 2013 Ninsalam, Yazid : A Framework for An Iterative Bathymetric Design Method in Response to Riverine Numerical Simulation
- 2013 Faizal, Firus: Manipulation of Wind Eddy Currents and Its Influence on the Built Forms
2013 Choo, Thian Siong: Using Surrogate Models for Multi-Objective Optimization in Performance-based Architecture design
- 2010 Shuvo, Faysal Kabir: A Critical Review of Micro-Simulation for Urban Planning and Design
- 2010 Shuvo, Faysal Kabir: A Critical Review of Urban Dynamic Modelling Approaches
- 2010 Ladouce, Nicolas A Review of Complex Systems as Procedural Techniques for Urban Space Modelling and Simulation
Masters Thesis Students
The thesis is a 6 months design studio project, the final project of the Masters of Architecture.
- 2017/2018 Tan Wei Chiang, Delwin: ongoing
- 2017/2018 Chen Pengfeng: ongoing
- 2017/2018 Lim Chze Yoon: ongoing
- 2017/2018 Chavan Tejas Deepak: ongoing
(Sabbatical at TU Delft)
- 2015/2016 Fan, Jiang: Spiral Streets
- 2015/2016 Zou, Menglin: Spiral Tower
- 2015/2016 Khaliesah, Arina: Vertical Street
- 2015/2016 Shiying, Seet: Transient Commune
2015/2016 Seah, Penny: Without Ground
- 2014/2015 Tan, Elvira: Small Hill Town
- 2014/2015 Xiong, Lin: Eden of Jurong
2014/2015 Chew, Zhaoying: Bridging Waterfronts
- 2013/2014 Zeng, Zhibin: Re-use of ships
- 2013/2014 Wong, Hengjie, Ian: The Last Ark
- 2013/2014 Wang, Jue: Elevated Spine
- 2013/2014 Yan, Tao Chian Eugene: Above the Park
- 2013/2014 Koo, Edria Rense : Bridge Scape
2013/2014 Kan, Lijing: Urban Vessel
- 2012/2013 Zhong, He: Community On The Edge
- 2012/2013 Wu, Yifan: Urban Green Spine
- 2012/2013 Lee, Teng Teng Cheryl: Urban Farming in HDB Estates
- 2012/2013 Chee, Zong Jie Desmond, A New Market
2012/2013 Nyssa, Amelia: Urban Harvest
- 2011/2012 Lei, Ping: Food harbour in Suzhou
- 2011/2012 Kaushik, Vignesh: Urban Farming for Energy Descent
2011/2012 Rae, Sharmini: A Handmade Hub
- 2010/2011 Ong, Eu Ho Fabian: Collaborative Design of Housing
- 2010/2011 Lim, Mei Sian Sheena: A PRT for NUS
2010/2011 Zhang, Qiaojie: Highrise Community in Chong Qiang
- 2009/2010 Wan, Paul Chong: Re-use of HDB Housing Blocks
- 2009/2010 Ibrahim, Nazim: Marina Bay Towers
- 2009/2010 Chen, Kian Wee: Generative Housing
2009/2010 Chan, Austin: A Megastructure over Singapore
- 2008/2009 Zheng, Shumin: Twisted Tower
- 2008/2009 Ladouce, Nicolas: Inflatable Architecture
- 2008/2009 Faizal Bin Abdullah, Muhd Firus: Healing Strip
- 2008/2009 Cho, Chung Man Sam: Digital Square